Stuff to Do Offline to Recharge


Microsoft Office Copyright Free Images
Here are some ideas for things you can do to keep yourself occupied while regaining your strength from a high-stress period.
  1. Drop water balloons from my sixth floor apartment on to people walking below.
  2. Pluck feathers from Chicklet (my love bird) to add to the pile I have.  When I get enough I will make an art project.
  3. Pluck needles off my Asparagus Fern, listening closely for little screams of pain.
  4. Go to the library and switch around book jackets on the books.
  5. Go to a friend’s place; while I’m there go to the bathroom and mix bleach into their shampoo bottles.
  6. Go to the SPCA, to volunteer to walk dogs; while I’m there mix a little vodka into Fido’s water bowl / bottle.
  7. Go to a restaurant and Crazy-glue all the salt and pepper shakers to the tables.
  8. Go to my brother’s  house and put a drop of Crazy-glue on each key on his laptop.
  9. Go to my cousin’s house, and mix catnip into the current can of opened cat food in the refrigerator.
  10. Go to Pastor Henry’s house and sneak into his garage (AKA: his version of Heaven on Earth), and Crazy-glue all of his tools together in his tool box  (Just kidding, H; your tools are safe...today! Hehehe) 
OK, that was fun, but seriously... here are some things that I really do when I need recharging, when the world seems heavy, and I need a new perspective.  The best way to regain your strength is to have some alone time where you can collect your thoughts together and organize them without interference from loved ones, friends, pets, cell phones, Facebook, emails, or work.
  1. Writing (Books, Blogs, Journals)
  2. Listen to music (Worship music, in particular)
  3. Read (For me, reading takes me into a whole new world with different people, problems, and adventures; a world where I am not judged, criticized, or rejected.)
  4. Positive Affirmations (PA) - I have a stack of index cards with PAs written on them.  I also have a huge batch of JPG files (photos with PAs written on them).  I've put them on my Blackberry, so I have them to quickly flip through anytime I need them.
  5. Housework (I know, that doesn’t sound like downtime; but often working out hard, physically, helps me to recharge mentally and emotionally), or walking (including Power Walking workouts)
  6. Go to a movie with a friend
  7. Play with my pets 
  8. A hot bubble bath with a good book, or some soft music in the background
  9. Time away some place, or sit quietly in a room with just a candle or two lit; maybe a glass of wine
  10. Quiet time with God; Pray, Read the Bible, Devotionals
What do you do in your downtime to recharge?  Please share your ideas with everyone in the comment section below.

Now it’s Your Turn!

Thoughts?  Questions?  Want to share your story?  Ask for prayer? Please share in the comments section.
(If you’re on the homepage, click on the post headline, & scroll down to find the comments section.)

Enter your email address to get Tin Roof Sundae posts in your Inbox


Delivered by FeedBurner
To prove you are not a robot or spammer you will receive a confirmation email. Click the link provided.

8 comments:

  1. Carley
    thhese are precious. I love your ideas. Some of them I had thought of doing at one time or another.

    Another crazy idea is to reset the alarm clock on your room mate and watch as they get up early on a Sat

    Call an appointment they have and reschedule it for them.

    But seriously Reading my bible is one of the best ways I know to escape. Writing in one of my many journals. painting ( a by the number or felt canvas. ) Need to finish one of flowers now to take with me to my dorm next weekend.

    Riding a bike really fast and feeling the breeze in my face. listening to music on my ear buds, even if Im the only one in the room, it helps block out all sound.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I am so far behind on my email it's crazy. I like the idea of setting the clock. When I was in college I lived in a boarding house with a lot of other students. A couple of the guys used to do that to each other all the time. lol I used to ride bike once; but it's been years since I had one. Now I'm in a building where I don't have the storage space to get one. It's fun to do though. Blessings to you. HUGS. ~ Carley

      Delete
  2. Great read! Not in any particular order:
    1) Visit a state or regional park with lake and/or waterfall
    2) Walk the waterfront (with UV umbrella)
    3) Sip a beverage (tea, coffee, water, wine) under the tiki hut overlooking a canal or waterway
    4) Knit on my latest prayer shawl
    5) Catch up with friends and family online photos
    6) Enjoy a dinner theatre
    7) Enjoy a dinner cruise or paddleboat cruise
    8) Dine with a friend
    9) Enjoy time with my church families outside Sunday worship
    10) Volunteer whre there is a need
    11) Enjoy the ministries of Joyce Meyers, David Jeremiah, and Charles Stanley online.
    12) Share my smart phone Christian podcasts with my cousin
    13) Enjoy my Tuesday mission group gatherings, dinner, and quarterly birthday parties
    14) Cook up a Sri Lankan or Indian Curry for students living off campus
    15) Mentor an international student to some of my favorite parks.
    16) Share so many of my photos taken with family and friends on Facebook.
    17) Enjoy lunch with a friend in a nursing or assisted living facility
    18) Spend quality time weekly with my Dad (65 miles away) and take him to a place where I can enjoy a great photo opportunity (usually along the Great Lake)
    19) Enjoy a ladies weekly bible study when I'm in one of my two cities.
    and the list goes on and on . . . as you can see, there is an emphasis on water, breaking bread, God, and service! I am blessed to have two or more church families in the two cities I regularly live in. -- EHAGFELD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for writing and sharing that list. It's awesome. I love hearing about others ideas. You never know when something will hit you as the perfect option that you never thought of yourself before. Many blessings to you. HUGS. ~Carley

      Delete
  3. Hi Carley,

    I love this blog...Stuff to Do Offline to Recharge!! Thank you so much for sharing. I have now subscribed to Tin Roof Sundae. It helps me so much!

    I read my Bible, meditate, pray, do yoga, read devotionals and do Bible Studies to name a few.

    Love & Hugs,
    Cindi~LadyRose49

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindi. I'm thrilled that you like my blogs. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I'm having internet issues at home. I am on a public service right now. Hopefully all will be cleared up at home soon. have you signed up to follow my other blog 'Worship Melodies'? You are a blessing to me today. Many blessings to you. HUGS.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I am signed up for Worship Melodies. I signed up for those first. Love them! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Please feel free to share with your friends and ask them to sign up too! Blessings to you. HUGS.

      Delete